There are lots of things I don’t care about in “The Biggest Loser” show, but I have learned to not throw the baby out with the bath water, so… here are eight great lessons we can glean from the show:
1. You shouldn’t go it alone. Camaraderie and support are vital in our quest for health and fitness. There is indeed strength in numbers–I am pretty sure these contestants would not do so well if they were on their own. Doing everything by yourself can be lonely and discouraging. But having a buddy — or a team of supporters — totally helps us stick to it when the going gets tough. So here’s the tip: Instead of just going solo on the treadmill or bike, consider taking a group fitness class or joining a team sports league.
2. Attitude matters. Seriously! The wrong group can drain your motivation and energy. Negative energy contributes on some level to struggles. Here’s the tip: Surround yourself with positive people!
3. You won’t always see results. It happens every season… no fun! But ups and downs are a reality for all of us. Losing weight isn’t as simple as a mathematical equation. Sure you need to burn more calories than you consume to lose weight, but even when you do everything right, sometimes it just doesn’t work out that way. When it happens, all you can do is accept it and continue on. Trust that your efforts will show eventually. Remember, that even when the scale doesn’t budge, your efforts are making a difference. So here’s the tip: try to focus on other ways to measure your progress: how you feel, your health improvements, and how your clothes fit.
4. You have to train your brain. Do you notice how the trainers are training the contestants mentally as much as physically? The contestants wind up believing in themselves. With every little goal they achieve, their confidence is being built up. So here’s the tip: don’t let yourself think whatever you want. Think about what you are thinking about. And start with goals that you know you can achieve. Let success build success.
5. You have to change your lifestyle. No matter how hard the contestants work and how much weight they lose while on the show,the pounds will surely come back if they revert back to their old habits at home. There is no magic… Getting healthy and managing your weight it is not a temporary thing. So here’s the tip: Set your mind on sticking with it for the long haul.
6. You have to work hard. Weight loss takes hard work–not for the faint of heart. It won’t always be easy. Lots of people want to lose weight, but most aren’t willing to pay the price or make sacrifices to get there. So here’s the tip: Your success depends on your wholehearted efforts; no easy way out!
7. You can have fun! Boredom will kill your exercise routine. Instead on going to the gym for a mindless half hour on the stair climber, get outside and do some hiking or biking. Forgo the weight machines one day and head to a playground to swing from the monkey bars, climb, jump, run and LAUGH! So here’s the tip: Mix it up and keep your body guessing.
8. You have to be consistent. Those who lose the biggest are consistent. They make healthy eating and exercise part of their daily lives — even after they go home. And even when they encounter setbacks along the way, they don’t give up. No matter how close (or far) you are from your goal — or even if you’re there already — the habits you learn along the way have to continue if you’re to be successful in the long term. So here’s the tip: Keep going!
Simple, right? Right…