How about that? These supposedly healthy habits and foods make you fat? That stinks, doesn’t it? Yep!
Here are my ten worst habits/foods that make you fat:
1. Skip a meal because a big event is coming ”banking your calories”–that always works against you, causing you to overeat like crazy before! You are better off spoiling your appetite with a hard boiled egg or something like that before the big event.
2. Skip a meal because you overate the day before—you are just setting yourself up with binging later on that day when your blood sugars plummet!
3.Diet sodas and foods! They may mask your hunger for a while and make you feel full, but remember: they are nutrient dead and actually harm you in more ways than one: artificial sweeteners, acid-producing, they create more insulin in your body and inhibit leptin which regulate your metabolism and appetite, and they make you skip on water…
4. Pretzels by themselves! When these are made with enriched white flour, the fat will go straight to your belly! Also, they are high on the glycemic index, pouring insulin into your body. If you must have them, make them whole grain and eat a bit of cottage cheese or peanut butter with them.
5.Fruit juices: most of hr are filled with sugar and have a high glycemic index. Many so-called fruit juices aren’t actually fruit juices and some of them contain only 5 % of natural juice! If you eat your fruit, you will feel fuller, add the chewing element and the very much needed fiber to your diet!
6.Complete salad kits—seems pretty harmless, right? Wrong! They contain lots of additives and preservatives, and the dressings are full of junk. Enjoy this dressing on your greens instead :
Cucumber and Yogurt Dressing 1 large cucumber 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon dill Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend well. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, then serve. This will keep in the refrigerator for 2 days.
7.Reduced Fat Peanut Butter; the fat removed is replaced with fillers and there is no calorie reduction! Plus, that was actually a good fat! Just eat normal, natural peanut butter and enjoy it in moderation.
8.Hot dogs, even poultry ones…
9.Cereal bars; you can find some healthy ones, but you have to look hard! Please don’t stop reading labels…
10.Protein Shakes: way too many protein for most of us. Remember, too much protein will make you tired (too much work on your body to process) and not enough carbohydrates will make your body use up the protein for energy, which isn’t the best fuel.
11.Rice cakes: low in fat and supposedly a great filler, but they cause your blood sugar to spike and you end up having your body store unwanted fat by slowing down your ability to burn it! Also, the flavored ones are loaded with sodium… Again, if you have to have them, make sure you put some peanut butter on them so lower the glycemic load.
12. Frozen Yogurt: most of these have extra sugar in them…
13. Granola: lots of fat and calories… maybe a tablespoon or two in your yogurt is acceptable!
Don’t forget to think when you eat! And don’t believe everything you read!