OK, I know, we hear about fish oil all the time, and it’s good for you and everything and it’s supposed to help you lose weight. Really?
Here is a quick and simple rundown on fish oil’s benefits:
- Protection against heart disease and stroke,
- Improvement in brain development and function,
- Reduction in the risk of certain cancers,
- Body fat reduction
- Help against depression
So, how does fish oil help with body fat reduction?
1. A study done at the University of Georgia found that fish oil with DHA helps stop the conversion of pre-fat cells into fat cells by causing them to die. This significantly decreases the accumulation of fat. [Journal of Nutrition, Vol. 136:2965-2969] You just send in a fish oil knight-in-armor to kill off all those big bad fat cells before they can set up a stronghold in your body castle. Another research at the University of South Australia found that fish oil capsules combined with exercise caused more fat loss than exercise without fish oil supplements. The fish oil group also had a far better improvement in their heart health markers. Of the 75 overweight adults in the study (ages 25 to 65) those who received daily fish oil supplements had a 10% reduction in LDL (bad) cholesterol levels and 14% decrease in triglycerides.
2. A more recent study done in Japan reports that omega 3 fish oil reduced weight gain in lab mice by boosting their fat metabolism. Scientists believe it’s also true for humans. When two groups of obesity-prone mice were fed high fat diets, those also receiving fish oil supplements gained less weight and metabolized more fat than the group receiving no fish oil supplements. Lead scientist Takuya Mori concluded, “These findings suggest that an up-regulation of intestinal lipid metabolism is associated with the anti-obesity effect of fish oil.”
We need certain good fats to keep our hormones balanced, so that we feel balanced. Good essential fatty acids help keep the metabolism up and running at top speed. Besides, omega 3 fish oil contributes greatly to not feeling anxious and depressed, and this helps greatly in sticking with a healthy nutritional plan! Anyone ever ate way too many oreos because you felt depressed? Yep, I thought so.
The more fish oil fatty acids we get, the better we feel. High quality fish oil capsules can give us all these omega 3 fish oil weight loss benefits with just a few fat calories. So what are we waiting for?