Chia seeds are an amazing powerhouse of nutrition that boast a lengthy list of health benefits. Although I’ve heard of the many wonderful benefits of chia seeds for quite some time now, I only recently decided to “take the plunge” and try them out! And I’m so glad that I did – I’m hooked!
Benefits of Chia Seeds
- Rich source of Omega-3 fatty acids ( even more than salmon!)
- Easy for your body to digest and assimilate
- Won’t go rancid
- Does not contain estrogen (unfortunately, flax seeds do)
- High in antioxidants
- A complete protein
- High in calcium, iron, and potassium
- Neutral taste (very easy to add to a variety of dishes)
- Help keep you hydrated
- Give you physical energy and endurance
- Can be made into delicious, healthy, and easy homemade pudding
Chia seeds can hold up to nine times their weight in water. When they come into contact with a liquid they turn that liquid into a gel similar to a loose “jello”. This property makes chia seeds perfect for thickening a variety of dishes, like the chocolate pudding below. This recipe would be easily adaptable to other varieties of pudding as well. Experiment with different flavors such as vanilla, berry, lemon, peach, maple, etc. The possibilities are endless!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Chia Pudding
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar OR desired sweetener to taste
Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend or process until completely smooth. You may eat it right away, but it is best after it has been completely chilled in the refrigerator.
Other Ways to Use Chia Seeds
- Add some to your oatmeal
- Put in salad dressing
- Add to your smoothie (my favorite! )
- Make a gel and use as a substitute for eggs in baking
- Add to homemade granola or granola bars
- Add some to a bottle of water to make an extra hydrating drink
- Use as a substitute to flax seeds in any recipe
By the way, if you are interested, I sell Chia seeds right in my gym!