So summer is on, you’re hot and you are feeling a bit lethargic… Maybe you ate an extra piece of cake yesterday and you missed a workout, and now you feel that you blew it… and your momentum is pooping out…
STOP RIGHT NOW!!!
Don’t talk yourself into quitting. Take a deep breath, and let me help you get back on track.
It’s all about choices, isn’t it? Now you are at a crossroad: either you keep walking backwards, which will surely take you even further away from your goals and will make you feel horrible, or you simply have to accept what you see as your weaknesses, forgive yourself and take positive steps down the path that brings you closer to the future you want.
Did you hear me?
~You are not perfect—who is? To lose a point is not the end of the game in tennis, is it? It is just a lost point. You refocus and keep going. Just like in the game of life, or in the goals you have set for yourself. Today is another day; embrace it with courage. You can’t lose if you don’t quit.
~You must forgive yourself—what’s your alternative? Be kind to yourself; remember, you must live with yourself for the rest of your days, so learn to accept your weaknesses without making excuses for them, and work them out of you little by little while giving yourself room to slip up at times. You are on a journey, and roads have potholes at times; we just don’t choose to live there.
~You must act—small little steps. There is just something about taking an action in the face of perceived failure; it’s like you are choosing to be in charge again; life doesn’t have you, but you control your destiny by your choices. No matter how small the action, start today. Put your pedometer back on, or start up your nutrition software again, eat your spinach or drink your water. You will feel empowered as you begin to move in the right direction once more.
~You must keep your dream alive. There is a future for you out there that you have dreamed of. Maybe it includes running a marathon, or dazzling your husband with a cute little red dress, or playing with your grandkids without being exhausted, or simply enjoying a healthy life. Whatever it is, keep it in front of you; it is worth all of your efforts today. You choose your future by your choices today.
Here are little baby steps that you can start taking today:
1. Try a short workout. Even five minutes is better than nothing.
2. Try a new recipe. Cooking healthy foods can be fun and it never has to be bland.
3. Eat a healthy breakfast. Your morning meal sets the stage for the rest of your day, so start if off right!
4. Drink your water. Try to aim for 8 cups each day and you’ll feel the difference!
5. Read motivational quotes! Go online and read testimonies of other people who won the battle for health.
6. Track your food today. No matter how it adds up, you’ll learn from it.
8. Share your goals with someone. Speaking about htem will make them so much more alive to you, and you will also be held accountable.
9. Exercise for 10 minutes. Jump rope, march in place, or do some crunches. Small amounts do add up to something big!
10. Find a buddy. Get support from friends, whether you need someone to listen or a mentor to give you ideas and encouragement.
11. Take a walk. Don’t worry about how long or far you go—just get out there!
12. Create a motivational collage. Include pictures of your goal and reasons why you want to get there.
13. Go shopping for some healthy foods.
14. Check the nutrition facts before you go out to eat.. That way, you can make an informed choice.
15. Ride your bike. Even a leisurely ride has benefits for your body and mind.
16. Work in the yard. Gardening and yard work is a great way to add activity to your day.
17. Take the stairs. Even if this is the only thing you do all day, you’ll feel stronger for it.
18. Reward yourself for a job well done after you reach a mini goal. The reward can be a new book, a new CD, a bubble bath… whatever makes you happy!
19. Listen to an inspirational song.
21. Measure your portions. It’s a simple way to learn how much you’re eating.
22. Eat a veggie. Even if 5-9 servings sounds impossible to you right now, one is doable.
23. Slow down during meals. You’ll be less likely to overeat and more likely to enjoy your meal.
24. Play! What kids call “play,” we often call “exercise.” Play a sport, a game, or use the playground equipment to bring the fun back into fitness.
25. Learn something new about fitness, nutrition of health. It can change your mindset and get you back on track.
As long as you’re consistently out-stepping your steps back, you’re ahead of the game.